Fabric Care Instructions
General cotton fabric care Instructions unless otherwise noted on the listing page.
- Washing: Machine wash cold with a mild detergent, no bleach. Wash dark colors separately.
- Drying: Tumble dry low, remove promptly. Use a cool iron if necessary.
- Do not pre-wash pre-cut fabric packs.
How do I care for my organic cotton from Birch Fabrics?
Wash the fabric on a gentle cycle in cold water with like colors using a fragrance free, non-chlorinated detergent that is preferably environmentally friendly.
Recommend drying your fabric on a low heat cycle, but the most environmentally friendly way to dry your fabrics is the good ole’ fashion way… hang dry.
What makes Birch Fabrics cotton 100% organic and is it certified?
To be considered 100% organic the cotton has to go through a very strict approval process. The certifier (Global Organic Textile Standard) has approved every step in the process from the farming of cotton to the finished goods. The process covers the how the cotton is grown, how the cotton is transported, how it is milled, how it is bleached, the ink used to print, and notably our mill must meet a standard of fair working conditions. At the end of the process a certificated is provided to ensure that all of these standards have been met and approved.
What does BTY mean?
BTY is an abbreviation for "by the yard", meaning a fabric is sold in yard increments.
What is a Fat Quarter compared to a Standard Quarter Yard?
A fat quarter is a quarter yard cut that measures approximately 18" x 22" rather than the standard 9" x 44" quarter yard.
18 inches x 21 inches = 45 cm x 53 cm
18 inches x 22 inches = 45 cm x 55 cm
Common Mattress Sizes
Common Mattress Bed Sizes
- Twin 39" x 76" Smallest bed mattress
- Twin X-Long 39" x 80" Commonly used in college dorm rooms, longer than a standard Twin but the same width
- Full/Double 54" x 75" Shorter and narrower than a Queen
- Queen 60" x 80" Wider and longer than a Full/Double
- King 78" x 80" Largest mattress
- Cal-King 72" x 84" Narrower and longer than the King
Common Mattress Depths
- Standard 7" to 9"
- Deep 10" to 15"
- Extra Deep 15" to 22"